AWHONN Intermediate Fetal Heart Monitoring is the first instructor-led course in the FHM learning pathway designed by AWHONN.
AWHONN Intermediate Fetal Heart Monitoring is a 2-day class consisting of didactic content, plus hands-on skills stations. Most noteworthy, Intermediate Fetal Heart Monitoring facilitates difficult concepts by presenting content in a standardized format. Additionally, this course serves as an educational assessment to validate the knowledge and skills of experienced perinatal clinicians. Finally, participants who successfully complete the skills stations, including the integration test, receive a statement of Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course Knowledge Validation by AWHONN.
To summarize, the skills stations covered offer demonstration, practice, as well as testing of the following:
- First of all, maternal and fetal physiology will be reviewed
- Subsequently, students will learn how to effectively evaluate auscultated fetal heart sounds
- In addition, learners will have the opportunity to practice how to perform Leopold’s maneuvers
- Hands-on practice will also include the placement of intrauterine pressure catheters and fetal spiral electrodes
- Further, students will have the opportunity to interpret fetal and uterine monitor tracings
- Moreover, identification of indicated clinical interventions will be discussed
- Last but not least, strategies for enhancing communication, not to mention, methods for documentation will also be discussed
Most importantly, the Intermediate course is for clinicians who have completed a Basic Fetal Heart Monitoring class, or those who utilize FHM in the intrapartum setting.
Likewise, Clinicians only experienced in antenatal patient care, or limited intrapartum care may require additional didactic and/or clinical experience to gain the required knowledge base. In contrast, experienced obstetrical providers may consider AWHONN Advanced Fetal Heart Monitoring. Lastly, Nurses, including Physicians who attend this course may receive continuing education credits for full participation by AWHONN.